Thursday, May 15, 2008

May 15, 2008

I was walking home when I heard this loud screechy chirp. It was really loud and really close. My eyes darted to the origins of the chirp. As I was approaching home, I spotted this bird just hanging out on top of a fence post.

This fence was not high at all and in fact, I was rather surprised to see the bird so close to the ground. There are cats around and that bird could have been a meal for any of the cats that hang out on this street.

The bird saw me but did not fly away. It just continued to chirp loudly as if calling out to another bird. Seeing as the bird didn't not fly away with my presence, I took the opportunity to whip out my camera and take a few pictures. It was getting dark but there was still a bit of sunlight left. I took a few unfocused pictures mainly because I had the camera setting on smart ISO. Then it occurred to me to take a video and capture this bird's chirp. Well, I turned the dial to video, waited for the camera to focus. And as quickly as I tried to get the camera to record video, it stopped because I ran out of disk space and the bird flew off. But despite my slow reflexes and lack of memory, I am posting what I captured. This is a very very short clip. That's when I ran out of space on the memory card.



I think I might get into bird watching. I find myself kind of doing it out of instinct to follow the birds if I see something interesting. Also, there is something about being able to spot a bird and watch it interact al natural because birds tend to fly away. Sort of like a magic trick. Now you see them, now you don't. So, I'm always pleased whenever I am able to capture a bird on digital film and/or video.


No comments: